Thursday, February 11, 2010

be still & listen


I love to talk - for the most part.
I never use all my monthly allotted minutes on my cell phone; I text way more than I talk. We even disconnected our home phone service bc, well, we never used that phone. Shawn has a cell, I have a cell...did we really need a land line too?

My Mom always sighs and says, "Aim hates to talk on the phone." And it's pretty true. I just don't have time for it. Don't get me wrong - when I was growing up I couldn't get enough of the phone. Loved it. Lived for it.

Back to ol' Sue. She knows I *dislike* talking on the phone, yet she calls me about 50 times a day. And I call her just as many times. That's just how we roll. Anyone else can tell you...I don't answer my phone that much. I'm usually too busy. I figure if it's that important...you'll leave me a message of just call me back. You know, bc I don't have time to talk. Or listen.

Today was my mom's "procedure." The mass in her breast is growing, so they had to go in and take it out. We won't know for a few days if it is benign or the dreaded "c-word." We just have to pray - and wait.

Last night I couldn't sleep. I didn't take my usual tylenol pm's bc I knew I had to get up so early to be at the hospital. So...I tossed and turned. I'd wake up and pray. When I did sleep - I dreamed. Vivid dreams. I remember feeling warm, like I was outside in the sunshine. I remember music.

When I was waiting with Mom before they wheeled her back to surgery, she commented on how she too couldn't sleep w/out her tylenol pm's. She said, "When I did finally go to sleep, I dreamed about music." I said, "Really? So did I! I dreamed about one of our praise & worship songs." Mom said, "So did I! What song did you dream about?" I said, "Fail us Not." Mom looked at me and said, Amy - so did I."

Standing there, I had an epiphany. God knows that I'm a terrible listener. He knows that I don't like to take the time to stop and listen. So - He talked to me when I was good and attentive. I was still. I was asleep.

The cool thing is - He talked to my Momma too. He told her the same thing. We both heard the same song. Even the same verse - over and over. "Whatever will come, we'll rise above, You fail us not, You fail us not, no matter the war, our hope is secure, You fail us not, You fail us not."

That is SO God. And I love it. If you don't know the song...you need to learn it. Our praise & worship band sings it. My Momma plays the piano. I believe that it will forever be one of my top faves. If you're a FB friend of mine, you can go to my page and follow a link to the video. If not - go to www.failusnot.com
Watch the video. Maybe it will speak to you too.

FAIL US NOT - by 1000 Generations
Failure doesn't phase you.
Worry doesn't win.
Lost doesn't leave you afraid to start again.
Our sin doesn't shock you.
Our shame doesn't shame you at all.
Mistakes do not move you.
Terror doesn't tame.
Death doesn't doom you to life in the grave.
Our suffering doesn't scare you.
Our secrets won't surprise you at all.
At all.

There is nothing above you.
There is nothing beyond you.
There is nothing that you can't do.
There is no one beside you.
There is no one that's like you.
There is nothing that you can't do.
Whatever will come, we'll rise above.
You fail us not, You fail us not.
No matter the war, our hope is secure.
You fail us not, You fail us not.
You fail us not.

Hatred doesn't hide you.
Evil doesn't ail.
Despair can't disguise you and tell you that you fail.
Our doubt doesn't daunt you.
Our darkness won't defeat you at all.
At all.

There is nothing above you.
There is nothing beyond you.
There is nothing that you can't do.
Whatever will come, we'll rise above.
You fail us not, You fail us not.
No matter the war, our hope is secure.
You fail us not, You fail us not.
Whatever will come, we'll rise above.
You fail us not, You fail us not.
No, You fail us not.
You fail us not.

3 comments:

  1. Amy, you should hear yourself. You're a very special lady! I'm praying for your mom - she's pretty special too!
    Blessings, Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's cool, Amy. Tell your mom I'm praying for her.

    ReplyDelete