Wednesday, July 14, 2010

11




11 is our family number.
My Daddy wore #11 in high school and college. He was the quarterback, and played baseball.

My brother wore #11 in high school and college. He too was the quarterback, and played baseball.

Shawn Webster...my high-school sweetheart...wore #11. He wasn't the quarterback though - he was an All-State receiver. And he played baseball.

My birthday is on the 11th day of August.

We've just always loved the #11.

Tomorrow, on 7/15...Keith turns 11.
The first time I saw him - I loved him. He was 3. He wasn't handed to my by a doctor or a nurse. We didn't cut an umbilical cord. I don't know when he first slept through the night, ate solid foods, took a step.

Know what else? I. don't. CARE.

The only steps that matter are the ones he made into my heart. He has occupied it ever since.

He isn't "easy."
He isn't "normal."
We've come to realize that "normal" is just a setting on a washing machine.

So many people love him. None more than his Momma.
Sadly, as we've gone through the years, I've learned a lot about humanity through Keith. All the lessons haven't been pretty.

The world is filled of judgemental, close-minded people. I've come to see more ugliness than I ever imagined.

It never fails...I get so angry, so hurt.
Then I look at Keith.

He is often smack in the middle of judgement...but he has the purest heart of any child I know.

He is often isolated by the labels and boundaries placed on him by others.
Yet to me...his beauty is boundless.

Keith Martin is my HEART.
And today - my heart is full.

Tomorrow my heart turns 11.
My favorite number.
11.

I look at Zack and I see my scrappy boy who will NEVER let anyone get anything past him. I don't worry about Zack.
I look at Griffin and I see my Politician/Lawyer. Heck, I see myself. I don't worry about Griffin.

I look at Keith and I see the hardest working child I know.
I see obstacles, struggles, and hurdles.

I see more adversity than I consider fair.

You know what I don't see?
Giving up. Quitting. Slacking.

I've been told that God allows adversity in the lives of those that He thinks can handle it.

God thinks an awful lot of my Keith.

I wish that everyone saw the beauty of him. Not his physical looks...but I must admit - he is a striking child.

I mean the beauty of his character. His personality. His abilities.

He is a harder worker than I ever thought of being.
He is the least judgmental soul I know.
He is capable of great, great things. I believe in him. I'm his biggest fan.

Yep, he's my heart. And now he's 11.
Happy Birthday sweet Keith. I love you more than you'll ever know.

just a trip down memory lane...from the old blog. i thought about this as i was typing tonight's entry...had to pull it up.
http://amy-beautifuldisaster.blogspot.com/2009/01/still-looking.html

2 comments:

  1. I wish I could have said it as well.God loves Keith.God loves you.I love both of you
    DAD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey you, saw on a blog about my sister's twins where you had asked me to keep you updated, so to update you; they have started TPR. We are praying.
    Love ya,
    Nella

    ReplyDelete